Chasing Cheerios

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Making a Felt Board

I recently made a new felt board for the girls. We have a large felt board, but it's made of plywood, so it's heavy and cumbersome (and we keep it in the fireplace, so it's not very accessible). I wanted a fairly large felt board that was lightweight enough to hang on a wall using velcro (so that it's easily removeable).

To make this feltboard, you need 1 yard of felt, foam core board, and a hot glue gun and glue.

First, I laid the foam core board onto the felt and cut around it.


Then, I just glued the felt to the back of the foam core board using the hot glue. I put about a two inch strip of hot glue on at a time and pulled the felt onto it tightly. I thought about taking a picture of this process, but it was impossible since I don't have 3 hands :)

Here is our finished felt board. It turned out exactly as I envisioned it (that rarely happpens)!


I put a piece of sticky backed velcro on the back of the felt board and the wardrobe, and now we have an easily removeable felt board. E(1) and I have enjoyed using it during our morning "school" time.

12 comments:

  1. Love this idea! Our Dollar Tree has the foam board. Will definetely make one for my little one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do you use anything special to get your items to 'stick' to the board? Do you use felt to make the items? Or another material that will stick on its own? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! When we made ours, I made one on hardboard and hinged it to one of our bookshelves. This is a fantastic idea too! If we ever get to the point of needing another or different one, I'll have to remember this!http://childcentralstation.blogspot.com/2010/10/finally-flannel-board.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toni- I print most of our felt board pieces on cardstock, and I glue small square of sandpaper to the back of each piece. It works great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aren't felt boards fun! We are loving ours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Super! This is something I think I could actually make!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for this! I had been trying to tape felt to the wall, with no success. Will implement your idea soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh, perfect. I bought the felt to make a board but didn't like any of our scrap wood. You have a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can you see the glue marks through to the other side of the felt? The picture looks so smooth.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Laura- All of the glue is on the back of the foam core board.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you so much! In my classroom we have a lot of blank space on the back of our shelves and I have been trying to think of something to put back there. I was thinking water color paintings covered in contact paper but didn't know how to attach (velcro duh! I love that stuff I use it everywhere else) but even more importantly I know know what to put on the back of the four shelves that face my reading area, a GIANT felt board. We were just told today that we would be given $150 to spend in our classrooms for teacher appreciation week, what prefect timing :)

    ReplyDelete