Chasing Cheerios

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Excavating Toys from Ice

Excavating toys from ice is one of our favorite Spring/Summer activities, and we do it often!


To prepare this activity, I filled a plastic container with small toys, marbles, and gems and then filled it with water.  I put the container in the freezer and forgot about it for at least a month (that always happens!).


 I finally remembered the container was there (when I was searching the freezer for something to cook), so I dumped the ice block on a pan and gave it to the girls along with salt, water droppers, a hammer, spoons, dull children's knives, and a cup of water.



We all worked together to get the toys out of the ice, and it was tons of fun...as usual!

5 comments:

  1. Fabulous idea. So easy and yet so engaging! Love that you add salt as a tool for dislodging the toys! Renee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! I love this idea!!! A couple of friends and I are running a camp for a week this summer and we will need to include this!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny...we just did this last night!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They look hard at work! How fun! Thanks for sharing:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anastasia@healthymamainfo.comMay 3, 2012 at 10:08 PM

    I've the same thing with my kids one time. They loved it! It has to be very hot out though, otherwise little fingers will freeze.

    ReplyDelete