Chasing Cheerios

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Preschool Reading Work...Or Not!

Lately, E(3) has not been interested in "doing" school at all.  Each morning while O(6) is doing her school work, I offer to do a lesson with E.  She says "No, thank you," and off she goes.  While O is completing her lessons, E(3) spends her time digging up earthworms in the dirt, observing bees buzz around the Azalea bushes, following our cat around the yard, inspecting the blueberry bushes, etc.  She creates games and a wonderful world of pretend play.  Honestly, I'd much rather her spend her time engaging in free and creative play in nature with little restrictions (she has to stay within the fence...we live right on a lake) than inside doing  "school" lessons.  She has the rest of her life to read, but the time for engaging in creative and open ended pretend play is now!

I admit that earthworms make me feel a little squeamish, but my girls LOVE to play with them.  E(3) names her earthworms and will sit and play with them for hours. (In this picture, she was excited that she created an earthworm ring!)  What a joyful childhood they have!

3 comments:

  1. That is so awesome! Great she has a mama who gets it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It must be the season for worms, my DD3 has been collecting cups of worms for the last few weeks, which end up on my kitchen bench. ATM we have worm cups going lol
    Cheers Sue

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such an important concept! Thanks for highlighting it. I live in an area where it is normal to push, push, push kids into formal learning at an early age. And then the same parents complain that the kids are bored in school. I believe childhood is not a race and kids have all kinds of things to learn besides reading.

    ReplyDelete